This is a photograph of the 1924 Galena High School football team. That year, Galena outscored its opponents 137 to 12. This team was quite the juggernaut. They’re standing on the steps of St. Michael’s Catholic Church, just south of Galena & U.S. Grant Museum. Incidentally, Galena High School has had quite a tradition of success, winning several state titles in the past couple decades. Go Pirates!
What else happened in 1924?
- France hosted the first Winter Olympics.
- Chicago’s iconic Wrigley Building was completed.
- Ellis Island closed as an immigration entry point to the United States.
- The first Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade was held.
- The first regular airmail services start in the U.S.
- The Indian Citizenship Act conferred citizenship on all Native Americans born in the United States.
Check back with us every month for additional insights into some of the thousands of artifacts we preserve at the Galena & U.S. Grant Museum.