Resources for Your Research Project
Search through the museum’s collection of literally thousands of artifacts-many of which have never been on display-using our new Historical Research Station. Everyone from the student researcher to the casual genealogist can discover something new at the Galena History Museum. Stop in daily between 9:00am-4:30pm! It’s free and easy!
Researching Jo Daviess County Ancestors and Historic Properties
We have compiled a list of online resources with links to their websites. We also have some general guidelines on how to get started on your project – with the links provided you have a wealth of information readily available.
These printable sheet provides some practical starting points:
One of the most frequent inquiries the Historical Society receives are questions relating to family histories or a recently purchased historic property. A wealth of information exists, but where to go and how to get started are usually the obstacles. Here is a summary of the resources available for genealogical and property research.
• Historical Society’s Research Center
• Galena Public Library Historical Collections Room
• Jo Daviess County Courthouse
• Jo Daviess County Illinois GenWeb site
• RuskinARC – This project maps and identifies properties within the Galena National Register Historic District. This project is the result of work supported by The Galena Foundation.
• Archive.org – Like a paper library, they provide free access to researchers, historians, scholars, the print disabled, and the general public. There are some wonderful Galena resources available here.